Wednesday 3 April 2013

I've Already Got a Book...

..................why would I need another one?

I have a real problem with books. For a start there are 3,500 in the attic, most of them neatly ordered on shelves, covering everything from the Poems of William Blake to the History of Pinball.  Fortunately I never tire of books. The one I'm reading at the moment just happens to be the one that made me think differently about fishing, - actually I'm re-reading it mainly because of writing this Blog.

Some of my books are about fishing, some are "How To" books, others are encyclopaedic lists of species and methods, and some are other people's fishing stories. The best of these are by John Gierach. Can't remember how I came across Gierach's books, but I was completely taken with his mix of philosophy and fishing, and the deceptively easy way he draws you in to his world - one essay is even written in the second person. One particular book stands out in it's dedication to a particular theme, Fishing Bamboo, and it was this book that not only reminded me of my early fishing exploits with a bamboo rod, but opened up the possibility of a whole new way to enjoy fishing.





No comments:

Post a Comment